Re: [T3] 2 new issues

On 28 Feb 2005 at 22:16, garrett morganIV wrote:

> BB is a 36yr old daily driver

So would she be a '69?

>   #1...The tranny seems to function fine when I can
> get it ingauged,but it seems (as of yesterday) the
> shifter is having a little trouble in 1st and 3rd
> takes about 4 tries just to get it in and then it pops
> out somtimes. Is it a shift linkage issue.

Get the Bentley manual. Check out the shift rod bushing and the shift rod
coupler. It could also be inside the tranny, but you should check the easy
stuff first.

>   #2...the other issue is that she tends to run a
> little hot,in part because the idle seems to be a bit
> higher then normal,but if I give the gas a quick rev
> the idle drops back to normal. I think there may be a
> oil pressure issue as well,cause once ina while the
> motor burps oil out of the breather box and onto the
> block,which causes a Bond-esk smoke screen for any
> wouldbe spies on my tail. I do have an external oil
> cooler,but that seems to be working fine.

Is this FI or a carb conversion? If a carb conversion, what kind of carbs? If
this is a US car, then it came with FI, but the idle dropping doesn't sound
like a FI symptom.

Oil burping out of the breather has nothing to do with oil pressure, but is
more likely to do with a breather problem, specifically one which has been
plugged up in the course of a carb conversion. How many plastic plugs are in
the top of your breather box, 1 or 2?

Has this engine been upped in displacement with cheap "drop in" pistons and
cylinders? If so, this may be the cause of excessive blowby. You may get better
performance from good stock 85.5mm pistons. The cheap "drop in" oversize
cylinders have walls which are too think to hold up well. They tend to warp and
leak after a few thousand miles.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org