Re: [T3] Wheel bolts and after market wheels

In a message dated 3/26/05 11:49:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
t3@binauralaboratories.net writes:

<< It had been pointed out previously
 that an era [early 80's, give or take] of Audi cars had longer bolts
 bearing the same thread [and rounded collar]. Today, [finally] I picked
 up a bunch while doing the junkyard mosey. Observe:

 http://binauralaboratories.net/car/wheelbolt.jpg

 The portion above the tubing is my approximation of what was and is
 actually making purchase. The stock bolts were removed completely from
 the car in about three turns, two and a half or so on the rear drums.
 The new bolts [it should be obvious which is which] tightened at 9-10
 turns, so I'm feeling better about driving the car. :)

 The new ones are 17mm as opposed to the nice snug 3/4" [19mm?] I was
 used to. They also look a bit cooler to me, so all's well.

 I guess the point in my dragging this out is that having had a closer
 look at what was going on, I consider the stock bolts DANGEROUS for this
 application. I see a lot of wheels similar to mine, wheel bolts are
 very, very cheap... >>

Yeah, those "new" lug bolts should work very nice for you. I know I'd feel a
lot safer with you driving around with them vs the stock t-3 lug bolts. You do
have a good point, correctly sized lug bolts are very cheap insurance, and
incorrect ones are dangerous. I know on my wife's car, and my son's car that use
8 spoke rims, that I installed screw in studs (with red loctite), and then
used the correctly shaped conical lug nuts for those rims. On my Notch, I've got
some different styled rims, and they use a shanked end that passes thru the
rim (more like you'd find on a set of Cragers) but with the end threaded. With
these, I have to carry a set of stock lug nuts to use the stock t-3 spare tire.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof
       71 Square, now a 2 seat Roadster, pics can be seen at;
http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2977