Re: [T3] Auto tranny TLC

<x-flowed>Combined answer to Jim and Russ:

Here is my engine as it looks right now:

http://www.type34.info/temp/After%20Gunk.jpg

It looks pretty nice.

Thanks.

Here's a couple more pics:

http://www.type34.info/temp/Clean%20left.jpg

http://www.type34.info/temp/clean%20right.jpg

Do I even see some somewhat new foam padding on top of
the oil cooler? That's good to have, but yours looks a bit thin.

Yes. I put that on when I changed the oil cooler last year. It was given to me by a
mechanic who claimed it was the right type. I still have some left so I
could just glue another layer on top of this one if it's too thin.

Since you're at this point anyway, and waiting for parts to arrive, you
should
get an M6 x 1 tap and tap the holes that mount the fan housing to the case
as
deep as possible.

I'll try this. I've never used a tap before so I guess I should practice a bit before using it on the engine case :~)

I would do this, and also replace the O-ring that you'll find under the governor cover. That frequently leaks.

Presumably it's in the gasket set, right?

I would not use anything too caustic on the trans. For cleaning the
govenor, and parts, just mineral spirits is fine.

You mean like White Spirits, that's normally used for cleaning paint brushes?

You say you have a gasket set? Do you have a new strainer/filter??

Here it is:

http://www.type34.info/temp/gasket%20set%201.jpg

http://www.type34.info/temp/gasket%20set%202.jpg

I don't have a strainer. I thought you were supposed to clean them like the
engine oil strainer.

There are 4 long studs that attach the trans portion to the
differential. Check the torque on those. They are known to get loose
over time.

I think I did that once.

There is a vent under that metal plate on top. If you are going to spray
anything, get that covered.

When I read this, I could hear hundreds of Type 3 owners across the world going "gulp". I hope some crap didn't drip in there when I cleaned the engine.

Daniel