Re: [T3] DBB alternator

<x-flowed>I like a safety factor when building things, a "just in case" measure. Here's a theoretical amperage consumption on my baby (ignoring parking and dash lights and instrumentation power consumption):

16.6 hi-beams (100watts x 2...yeah yeah, not stock but neither is my baby)
8 Compufire ignition
3.5 wipers on hi (taken from Bentley)
+ 3.3 stereo (40watt & stereo turned up to cover the stinger exhaust
and open rag top >:-] )
-------
31.4amps being drawn

(If I'm wrong on this assumption then please show me the corrections)

On a stock T3 and on most other T3s I can agree with Jim though I haven't been witness to 7+ years of a voltage regulator whereas my alternator has surpased this point. True, I didn't have generator issues except renewing the brushes when needed.

BTW, my engine does have the go-fast goodies ;-) She even has powder coated tin and bits, definitely a waste of money, but I *do* like things to look good -- even "cool" one might say -- and this is an obsessi...er, hobby ;-) It's like saying, "Why put light weight after-market wheels on your car? The stock ones work just as well and the majority of people won't even realize the unsprung weight benefits?". Well, quite true but they look different, look nice (to the owner at least and this is where it counts), and maybe the person is an advanced driver (or working on becoming one) who can feel the difference or will be needing the difference in the future.

 Toby Erkson  --  air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
 '72 VW Squareback Darksider, 5-speed, 2.0L, rag top
 '72 VW Squareback Lightsider, automatic, FI, sunroof, gas heater
 '95 VW Jetta ~ SCCA Solo 2 EP #3; '73 Porsche 914; '81 Honda Gold Wing
 http://www.icbm.org/
 Portland, Oregon

Jim Adney wrote:

while alternators ARE really cool and interesting things, there is absolutely no advantage to them for the vast majority of owners. The generator system works well and provides more than enough charging for most people. It's also fairly bulletproof and simple. With reasonable care the generator will outlast the car, although you may have to replace the voltage regulator and brushes every 7-12 years.... I don't think I've ever had one go bad on me, although I do replace brushes and VRs every decade of daily driving, or so....

5) I like the cool factor of being able to say that I've got this really modern upgrade.