Re: [T3] DBB alternator

<x-flowed>
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>

> My generator can't keep up when my car is just idling.

Especially with a modern set of headlights.I like to see.

> This is simply due to the fact that, at idle, an alternator will
generate some current (certainly not its full rating) while a generator will
put out little or nothing.

Exactly.That ,of course, is fine if you've got nothing running besides the
engine but if you have a heater blower or maybe a fan,(again,I like to see),
It's just not enough.Hook up a multimeter in an idling T3 and then turn on your lights.
Watch the voltage plummet.

2) My battery wouldn't stay charged because the generator charging system wasn't working right, so I just replaced it with something brand new.

It was just inadequate.New,shiny stuff may impress some but not me.

The only problem with this approach is that the alternator is a more
complicated (and expensive) system than the generator. When you have trouble
with IT, you'll have even less chance of figuring it out yourself. I guess that
would be a good time to replace everything again, perhaps with the old
generator, which we hoped you saved. ;-)

No more so than anything else,IMHO.There are lots and lots of web pages that deal with alternator diagnoses.Very few about generators.

3) I like the idea of a system that puts out 70 Amps. It just makes me feel
more secure knowing that I have all that power flowing out of my new charging
system.

Yes, I do.

A 70 Amp alternator puts out 70 Amps ONLY when that much is needed.

Absolutely true.

> 4) I like to play the radio really, really loud.

Guilty.

Go ahead. Be assured that most of the rest of us aren't overly impressed by
this, so you might as well do it with the windows rolled up. A few years of 20
Watts in an enclosed space will assure you of hearing aids by age 40.

Not absolutely true .Average acoustic power over a long period of time is what counts.I don't listen that loudly.

> Well, I guess that's a matter of taste, but if you really want to spend money
on bragging rights, why not get something that brings an actual advantage with
it. For the same money you could get a counterweighted crank, or a full flow
oil filter system AND case savers, or a good 4 angle valve job. Each of these
comes with proven benefits.

Got 'em all.

OTOH, if all you're into is appearances, I've got rub-on decals of my
signature. One of these on your dash will instantly signal to the Type 3 "In
Crowd" that your car is one of the elite. These are extremely limited
production items, but I'll sell them for the same price as the alternator kits,
and throw in a Salad Shooter, and a Popeil Pocket Fisherman, for free!

Signatures come in your choice of black, yellow, or red.*

(*This offer subject to revision at any time.)

Ax to grind,maybe? 8^)

Darkside ' 69 VW Fasback
'86 GW
'93 Firehawk
'81 Escort
'90 Escort
rmcevoy1@NOSPAMtwcny.rr.com
davidvnelson@hotmail.com

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary security
deserve neither liberty nor security." -- Benjamin Franklin