Re: [T3] fuel pump relay ground

On 13 Mar 2005 at 23:19, Dave Pallo wrote:

> the engine compartment, with the key on. This should make the pump run.<<<
>
> I can supply a ground to that connection, Russ, and the pump will
> run.....but isn't that just bypassing the function of the brain which is
> determining when the pump runs and when it doesn't run?.......

Correct, but this is a good way to test the relay and all the wiring from this
point forward.

> I don't know when a condition would be that the brain doesn't want the pump
> to run, do you?...

The brain should provide a ground for ~1 second immediately after you turn the
ignition key ON, regardless of whatever else happens. If you see this, you know
that the brain is working. After that, it only provides that ground if it has
seen the trigger points moving within the last second.

> Is it a safety thing?...

Yes, since the brain is keeping watch on the running of the engine, it knows
when the engine stops. If you were in an accident that broke the fuel line, the
engine would stop and the brain would then cut off the pump, reducing the
likelyhood of a fire. It's a very important safety feature which we have
discussed here often.

If your brains don't seem to be controlling the pump, you should inspect the
wiring between that junction in the engine compartment and the brain connector.
It's EXTREMELY unlikely that you have found 3 brains in a row that were all bad
in this function.

You should also check the power wires to the brain, since the pump control
function won't work unless the brain is getting power. There are TWO power
wires to the brain, and they both have to be connected for everything to work.
Check them at the relay under the back seat and also in the engine compartment,
hidden somewhat in that wiring snarl in front of the pressure sensor.

What year is your car again? If it is a '70 or later you can check power by
just verifying that you can hear a series of clicks from the injectors as you
press the pedal down with the ignition ON.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org