Re: [T3] Bill and Steves fender beading

<x-flowed>I don't know whether this is a problem specific to Bill and Steve's, or a symptom of a bigger issue. When I started working on our Fastback, I figured I would use as many resto parts as I could, as a short cut to making the car look newer. Problem was that most of the aftermarket resto parts I bought was crap. Can't describe it any other way. Pure crap. In some cases laughably so. I kept the headlight switch knob, driver side mirror, and taillight seals I purchased, just to remind me of this from time to time. Since then, I've been taking my time and collecting as much NOS stuff as possible, including fender beading. I picked up a set from Mr. Hanover a year or two ago, and while it its a variety of colors and will need to be painted to match, its the correct shape and profile.

Its too bad that despite the potential market out there for VW resto parts (and to a lesser extend, Type 3 specific resto parts) the quality available is pathetic. If 60's muscle cars is your thing, you can almost build an entire car out of aftermarket parts that look and feel as good if not better than NOS and last as long if not longer. Even the vast majority of the aftermarket bug parts I see out there is crap.

The blame for this is squarely on Volkswagen. While the Big 3 manufacturers support the collector hobby in one way or another, Volkswagen, like the kid from the "wrong side of the tracks" who makes something of himself, is ashamed of its history. The company would like to create a clean break from its aircooled past, while at the same time rabidly protecting its copyrights and trademarks. The aftermarket parts out there are for the most part cheap knock offs because of this.

Jim
'68 Fastback