Re: [T3] Darkside Engine Advice

In a message dated 6/27/05 5:07:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
steven.cooper@optusnet.com.au writes:

<< I am considering buying a rebuilt 1776 with twin 36ICT webers to install
in
 my AT fasty.  The engine is built in a universal case with a reground crank,
 new pistons and barrels and rebuilt heads with new valves. Does anybody have
 any advice on this combination, specifically:
 1) Is it possible to find inlet manifolds air cleaners suitable to install
 the carbs under the engine lid of a type 3?  If so, how difficult are they
 to come by?
 2) Can you get linkages suitable for use in a type 3? Again, how difficult
 are they to find
 3) Are they good carbs for this application?  They have apparently been
 jetted for a 1776. >>

Most 34 ICT's will fit under the floor of a type 3 if you get the t-3 intake
manifolds with them. There are a couple of different styles of air cleaners
available for them too, but those that are about 1.25 to 1.5 inches tall will
clear the floor deck when installed in a t-3. However, none of them will connect
to the factory fresh air outlet for the factory air cleaner.
Linkages are available, ranging from ok (empi) to very good (CB Performance).
I'm running the CB set up on mine, and it's been on several t-3's since 1998
with only minor changes to the adjustments for the different engines.
Your biggest concern is whether they have the balance tube provision in the
manifolds, as you need to tap in it for a vacuum supply for the modulator valve
on the tranny. Here CB has the correct manifolds, while the empi ones need to
be drilled and tapped for a fitting, and balance tube. Otherwise they should
be a good combo for that sized engine. I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof
       71 Square, now a 2 seat Roadster, pics can be seen at;
http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2977
       69 Square, currently awaiting a t-4 engine transplant