Re: [T3] This morning's work

<x-flowed>>
As promised, here are pics from this morning's work.

What did you find to be the cause of your ATF leak?

To be honest, I have no clue as yet where the leak was coming from. There are no obvious tracks or anything. I can't see just by looking at it whether the seal is OK or not. In any case it only leaked when it was hot, so the seal - if that is the problem - must still be good enough to keep the colder oil in.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind any time you replace a seal:

One is that you MUST check the surface that it seals against, and make SURE
that it is perfectly smooth. If it's not, the rough surface will quickly
destroy the new seal.

The second is that every seal and it's mating part MUST be lubricated on the
sealing lip when you install it. If you run a seal dry, even for just a few
seconds, the friction will be enough to melt the rubber and probably destroy
the seal. The best lubricant is just a bit of whatever this particular seal is
sealing.

So in other words, e.g. in the case of the engine oil seal, I should oil both the inside (the sealing part) and the outside (the part that faces the drive plate), and smooth the drive plate, before installing the oil seal? Most books talk about using a sealing adhesive, presumably around the outside edge of the seal. Do you use any?

Daniel