Re: [T3] Advice needed on disassembly of complete 73 Squareback

<x-flowed>

Toby Erkson wrote:

Wow Per, what a find! :-) And since it's a US car that means it has those UGLY red turn signal tail lights ;-p hahaha, I know you Europeans like 'em, just as we like the amber Euro tail lights :-)

The tails are probably replaced with the amber tops, since the red turn signals are illegal here. Still, I have 3 pairs of red-top tails laying around in various condition, so I'm covered in that area. And yes, they are cool :-D

You're really good with cars so I know you won't have any problems removing the air box. It's all VW so it all makes sense.

That's good to hear, I just wanted to ask first so I wont have any problems.

Interesting that even late models weren't built with the FI holes/panels.

Yes, but why include this when it wasnt necessary?

The point where the FI harness goes thru the left engine compartment wall, it is of course surrounded by a big, gray grommet. If you can push this into the engine compartment then the big connector can be pulled through. It's not always easy to do so remove the engine first so you can get into the engine bay to pull that sucker out.

I'll probably remove it after I've removed the engine, so it'll be easier to get out.

I think your biggest task will be removing the front beam, then the drive train. The rest is easy, little stuff.

The junk yard has a lift in their shop, and we're going to use this lift to get te car up into the air for removal of the front beam, engine and other stuff, so that wont be an issue. I can remove the engine in an hour anyways so....

Not sure about the FI harness that leads into the cabin...that could be a challenge to pull thru into the engine bay. Save all the grommets that you can!

I was thinking of saving the entire, complete wiring harness for the whole car, not only the FI harness. I dont know why, but it may come in handy later...

Have fun :-)

Oh, I will!

PerL
73 & 70 Variant