Re: [T3] Mystery Electrical issue?

On 8 Jul 2005 at 8:01, Timothy Kender wrote:

> For the 1st time since purchasing my 73, I drove in the dark! Wow! Oh
> boy! Here's what happened:
> 1.    With the headlights on, the GEN light did not illuminate UNTIL the
> RPM's were up a bit, say 15, 25, and 45 MPH. But, then, at those speeds,
> the light would glow dimly! If, I backed off a bit on the accelleration,
> the light would go out! But, then, at the next take-off, on it would
> dimly glow at said RPM's.

Check your system voltage with the headlights on and off. It should be around
14V at all times as long as you're up to med rpm. If it's low, replace the VR
with a Bosch 30-019.

> 2.    I bought a nice, nearly new license plate light kit and wired it
> in to the wiring where the old one had been (or so I assume... It looked
> like the only wires needing to be integrated back there. But, no light!
> Gotta do some line tests today.

Better to look at your existing license light and get it working. With a bit of
work it will always be better than an aftermarket installation. Note that for
this to work you need a good ground and that the power is fed from one side of
the rear running lights.

> 3.    My right headlight glows a nice dim yellow-sunset, not a harsh and
> annoying bright white that could frighten Bambi into road stare! Gotta
> replace it.

Since this is a '73 you've got the extra ground wires, so that should not be a
problem, but there's still the possiblity. If the other side is fine, then it's
not a system problem, it's just something related to the right side. Check the
fuses and fuse connections. Check the ground wire where it is held under a
screw in the RF corner of the trunk area.

Are both headlights standard sealed beams?

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org