Re: [T3] I'm baack...with my Notch

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 21:02, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 2 Jul 2005 at 10:12, David Walters wrote:
>
> > As for the generator problem that I was having, I troubleshot as per
> > the Haynes manual and showed that the generator wasn't putting out any
> > volatge, using the no-load unregulated volatge check from Haynes. Then
> > I tried a fault finding method off of the internet and it told me the
> > same thing *but* it suggested re-polarizing the generator. I did what
> > it said to do (and wasn't too confident while doing it either) and
> > darned, if it didn't work.
>
> I have a charging system FAQ that I'll be glad to send out to anyone who needs
> it. I don't recommend repolarizing just because the chances of destroying
> something are much greater than the chances of fixing something. However, it is
> true that sometimes it's necessary.
>
> The only times that I've ever seen polarizing to be necessary was when the
> battery had been installed backwards, or when the generator had been completely
> torn down and not repolarized by the rebuilder. Personally, I don't think the
> latter should ever happen, just because it would mean that the rebuilder never
> tested the generator after doing his work.

Jim, I ran into one T-3 rebuilt that was polarized backwards. A local
rebuilder, had his test stand running backwards for a VW generator. Took
a couple tries before he and I together found the problem.
BTW, I just posted some notes I had from VW school on my web site. Aguy
on TheSamba is having problems with a new Bosch generator.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/generator-electrical
Polarizing instructions are on one of the pages. Sorry they are not in
the best of shape and faded after 40 years.

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 FB AT