Re: [T3] Jacking Car

On 2 Jul 2005 at 11:48, Ben Mungkornpanich wrote:

> Were is a good spot to jack the back of the car up?  I want to get both rear
> wheels up and do their brakes together.

Don't jack under anything that just looks like part of the body. You're looking
for suspension members which are made of sturdier stuff. Anywhere on the rear
subframe is good.

Likewise, anywhere under the front axle beam is good.

Sorry, Steve, but I'm gonna warn people not to use your suggestions. Jacking
under the tranny will work MOST of the time, but I'm afraid that sometime
someone will suffer that one in 1000 chance and destroy something expensive.
Jacking under the the engine or the tranny risks damage not only to the engine
or the transmission, but also to the engine and transmission mounts.

I jack under the ends of the subframe where the torsion bars are, or go to the
center of the subframe with a short board so I can jack the whole rear end at
the same time.

As far as the front goes, I'd just stick with either the front axle beam or the
front frame horns that grab the axle. Those outboard bolts that Steve mentioned
really aren't in any particularly stout metal.

The OE jack points are fine when the car is new and the body is perfect, AND if
the ground is good so there's no chance of the car rolling forward or back.
Otherwise, they are just in sheet metal, and are easily damaged. I would use
them only as a last resort.