Re: [T3] What is this?

<x-flowed>You are correct, Neil, there is no smaller bulb nor dual filament main bulb in the Euro turn signals. Orange parking/running lights are not legal here, and orange side marker lights were illegal until 1997 or 98 as well.

As for the side repeaters (side turn signals) only a few markets had them after 1970, Norway being one of them. My 73 has side repeaters, with orange lenses, but my 70 doesnt. They were introduced here in 1971, for all cars. Germany waited until the 90s to have them on all cars.

PerL
73 & 70 Variant

Neil wrote:

I "think" the "side marker lights" in question are actually the small marker
lights inside of the front turn signals. Here is my reasoning behind that.
Here are two pictures. The first is from the inside of a turn signal housing
from a '71 US model Squareback; the second is from a '72 Notchback imported
from Germany a few years ago.
http://neil.us/type3/light/us-light.jpg
http://neil.us/type3/light/euro-light.jpg

note that the US light has the small light on the side of the turn signal,
while the euro version does not. I do not think that it was just removed or
lost from the euro light housing because if you notice the US version has
two contacts on the primary bulb for the two filament bulb used here. The
euro version only has one contact, with no provision for a second contact.
In the US, this light served as the turn signal and also the running light.
In Europe the running light was incorporated into the headlight. Also, on
the US version you can see all the coppery type substance that was
sprayed/molded into the housing to provide the ground for the light. The
small side light is powered with a jumper wire from one of the hookups on
the primary light.

Something else I realized while finding these parts and looking at my '72
notch is that it has no side makers, nor are there provisions for them. Did
late model Type 3's have the same type side markers as the early ones??

Neil