[T3] Big Help Needed

Hi,
I'm new here and while I would imagine that this has
probably been solved before I'm hoping that someone
can help me with my problem faster than it would take
me to search the archives for a solution.
The problem is this: On my way home from school
tonight my little 71 Squareback decided to start
smoking from the dash board. I though it interesting
that my spedo and gas gauge lights decided to both
light up (they haven't felt the need to for the last
couple of months) when I turned my headlights on. Just
before the smoke cloud came up out of the vents near
the glass the lights both decided that they had enough
of being on and shut off. I pulled off the highway cut
the engine and killed the lights bailing out so that I
could breathe. After the smoke cleared I made sure
that there wasn't any more coming out and then fired
the car back up (I was five min from home) turning the
lights on and didn't have a problem the whole way.
Anyone got a suggestion as to what it might be?
I think that something might have touched and sparked
when I hit a bump on the freeway, but wanted to see if
that was possible or not. This isn't my first VW but
it is my first type 3 and I do have to admit to being
a little lost at times when dealing with it, hence my
subscription here. Any help would be much appreciated
even if it's just a wiring diagram to help me know
what I'm looking at.
Thank you for your time,
Rhiannon
Unnamed 71 Squareback F/I