Re: [T3] NO HEAT

On 25 Jan 2005 at 19:58, Randy Hougham wrote:

>    There is a flap between the heat exchanger and flex tubing that goes into
> the passenger compartment. The flap controls the main heat. I can touch that
> flap. Is it supposed to be open to the air under the car, or should there be
> some kind of hose or shield there?

If you can touch it from the front, then you're just sticking your finger where
the main heat hose should go.

If you're touching it from above and to the rear, then part of the top of the
heat exchanger shroud has rusted away and is gone. This will still work as long
as the surface that the flap seals against is still there so you get a
reasonable seal.

>    I found and removed mouse nests in the heat duct that runs through the
> rocker panel. When the heat is on, the car seems to have a mousey smell. Are
> there other places where mice build nests in these things? Is it possible to
> clean out the heat exchangers? There are two plastic heat distribution boxes
> under the back seat. They are stuffed with some kind of padding that looks
> to be from the factory. That padding also has a mousey smell. What is it
> for? and can I replace it with something else? (Maybe fiberglas insulation?)

With mice you get mouse urine. Some parts will absorb this worse than others,
but the smell will eventually go away. It took a couple of years for my '69 to
air out. You can remove that felt and soak it in water and squeeze it out; this
will remove a lot of the smell, but not all. I would NOT try to switch to
fiberglass.

>    Do these type3's usually have a smell associated with the heat?

Maybe just a hot engine smell, but it should not be strong.