Re: [T3] Paypal stuff

On 23 Jan 2005 at 17:01, Aaron Clow wrote:

> You know, it's weird... Paypal has randomly flagged my account like five
> times in the past week or so. I keep re-entering my information, but
> they keep re-flagging it. I have no idea what's going on. It's weird
> though, because the paypal request keeps coming from my Type3 address
> and not from any others, or the one that it's supposed to come from. :)

Aaron,

It's a scam. If you get ANY kind of email like this, just hold your cursor over
the link and look at what the link really is (it will show up somewhere on your
software.) It will probably NOT be what you see displayed on the email.

You can click on this link safely and then LOOK at the URL of the web site that
you get to. DO  NOT just assume that it's really paypal just because it looks
official.

If you entered your username and password and then hit return, your paypal
account and its balance have been stolen. If you entered your credit card #
etc, your credit card has been stolen. You should try to call and cancel
anything that you can right away to prevent further losses, but you probably
won't be able to recover your paypal account. The thief will have changed the
password by now and you won't be able to access it anymore.

Any email like this which did not actually come from payPal (or ebay) should be
forwarded to abuse@paypal.com (or abuse@ebay.com.)

I get a couple of these scams a week and always forward them immediately to the
abuse address. Just for grins I sometimes go to the link anyway, just to see
where it takes me. Occasionally I'll get a message that the site has been shut
down "for security reasons", but most of the time it's still sitting there,
just hoping I'll do the foolish thing.