Re: [T3] air compressors

Just a little story about OLD air compressors.
I have a 1941 champion speed air, and even though I dont leave it on in the
winter if it warms up a bit I pump the tank up.  Last winter I did just
that, walked out to my shed to get a bag of potting soil and after about 30
seconds the compressor went off like a cannon!
    This old beast runs the air through a seperate base on the compressor,
cast iron, to cool it and the only blow off valve is on the main tank so the
inlet line to the main tank froze and after putting several thousand PSI in
that little cast base it exploded.
    I learned several things that day,
1) Had I not had a green thumb, I wouldnt be here today!
2) half inch copper water line has a VERY HIGH bursting pressure... as it
DIDNT.
3) You can discharge artillary in my neighborhood and NOBODY will care!

I found peices of cast iron hundreds of feet away...  So, if you have an old
compressor DONT use it if there is any chance a line can freeze unless you
are darn sure you have a burst valve of appropriate pressure BEFORE any
place that can freeze.  Modern stuff should have these safety's built in...
but double check it!

Keith