Re: [T3] brakes

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 18:48, eggmeg@netzero.net wrote:
> Happy New year all,
>
> I'm trying to get my ride road ready for the warm weather(this car hasn't been on the road in 8 years) I have a 65 square and am concerned with the front brakes. I have installed new shoes and have had the drums cut but then had to rebuild the cylinders. The car has the dual cylinders and most FLAPS had rebuid kits that did not fit.( the rubber cup would stick and could not build up pressure.) I bought a reemer for the cylinders and after grinding away for awhile it started to slip through alot easier, but I'm still not comfortable with it. If I try to buy another rebuild kit, should I ask for a rebuild kit for an earlier year or just keep reeming. I have also thought of going to disc brakes. I might have a lead on disc brakes off a 67 square or even going aftermarket. any help is always appreciated.
>
> John
> 65 square (Weezer)

You say you bought a "reemer"?? do you mean a "Hone"?? A reamer would
have metal blades, and physically take out metal. A hone would have some
small stones, and actually just removes surface material.Rust, crude,
etc.
Your wheel cylinders should be 22mm or 7/8" cups. They are a common
size, that probably crosses to a lot a domestic rebuild kits. I am going
through this same process on my '64 T-3 Ghia. I picked up some used
wheel cylinders from Jason Weigel while in Califonia last week. He
probably has any of the pieces you need.
Disc brake conversion is a popular conversion, but you have to change
the spindles also. And you will either have to have the rotors redrilled
for your 5 bolt wheels, or convert to 4 bolt all around.

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 FB AT