Re: [T3] Steering linkage repair

On 23 Feb 2005 at 9:59, Marion McDonald wrote:

>     The other day I had my front end in the air and noticed that the right
> front wheel had a lot of side to side play.  I traced the problem back to
> the tie rod end attached to the steering drop arm.  Does any one have this
> part or know a good source for it?  The part number from the VW parts list
> book is 311 415 811C.

I suspect that this part is available from any number of places. You might try
NAPA or any of the on-line VW parts houses. That same right inner tie rod end
was used on all LHD type 3s from 67 thru 73, and maybe earlier.

If you can't find a new one locally, I'm sure I have a decent used one.

> I assume this is a fairly straightforward repair with a tie rod end puller.
> I also assume if I install the new part with the same length as the old one
> that I will retain the correct toe in.

Yes, with the right tie rod end puller this is pretty straightforward.  My
puller is Brazilian but works perfectly and came from J C Whitney. The hardest
part will probably be determining what the correct length was before the tie
rod end failed. You can probably take the boot off and center the spindle when
you make your measurement, or just measure to the center of the body.

Was the boot torn on the old one? I find these boots to be in bad shape quite
often. There must be some problem with the design. If your old boot is still
good, save it. I haven't been able to find proper replacements for these; VW
shows the part, but the one they supply is wrong.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org