Re: [T3] Alignment questions

> I took my '63 to get aligned on Friday and this morning.
>
> On Friday, I explained how to align it and they understood.  When I came
> pick it up, they reported the toe in was way off so they set that.  They
did
> not set the camber because he thought the adjustment screws might be
frozen
> because the tie rods were quite hard to adjust.  I insisted they adjust it
> per the owner's manual specs and brought it back today.

Ya practically have to hold thier hands while they align it!  yea... the
ball joint bolts are often frozen but not in Arizona.

> Today they set everything up per the specs and now it pulls left!

Check for a loose ball joint, the early ones dont last as long as the later
ones, check and make sure everything else in the front end is tight
especially the stabilizer.  did they check the rear wheel alignment? Its
usually fine but if it isnt... also check your tires and pressures, make
sure you dont have Rag's on one side and Steel on the other.

> I drove home because I lost confidence in their abilities.

GOOD!!!

> Questions:
> 1. They set the camber to 1.2 degrees on both sides (from my digital
"laser"
> alignment printout).  The spec. is 1 degree, 20 minutes so shouldn't that
be
> 1.3333 degrees?

There is a range of correct adjustment, is it within that range? Ill be its
close enough.

> 2. Same with the toe-in, it's set to .45 degrees.  The spec is 40 minutes
so
> isn't that .66666 degrees?
A little extra toe in our cars is OK, and will help keep things from
wandering. Keep an eye on tire wear.

> I verified that the bottom ball joints were left pointing forward per my
> instructions.

GOOD  they should be

> The upper left ball joint has the little line pointing backwards a small
> amount.  Shouldn't they all generally point in the forward direction?  Can
> just rotate it 180 degrees until I have time to take it to a better
> alignment shop?

Upper joints can point in any direction so long as it gets the alignment
right.
You didnt mention what the Caster numbers were.... although not technically
adjustable it needs to have at least a couple degrees of positive caster or
it will wander.  Yea, take it to a shop that has some modern Bear or Hunter
or such equiptment and bring along your Manual.  Then look for the Tech with
the thick german accent...

Keith