Re: [T3] FI wiring harness colors?

On 14 Feb 2005 at 20:58, Toby Erkson wrote:

> Well, I discovered that my cylinder head temp sensor is connected to the
> common engine grounding point...idiot mechanic!

Doh!

> There are two wires that are "empty".  One is a cut green one within the
> voltage charging wiring harness.  It is NOT the green wire for the idiot
> light (or whatever it does) as there already is a green wire to the
> generator.

All the FI wires are white.

> The other wire does have a stock female connector.  It's grey and
> *seems* to be coming from the cabin harness.

That MAY be it; it may just be a dirty white. Does it come out on the left side
from the same harness that the pressure sensor wires come out of? It's also
possible that the wire you're looking for got broken off and all you'll find
will be a stump where it came out of the harness. That may be hard to find, but
it can be fixed.

Up until about 10 years ago I had a '72 which I bought in pretty good cosmetic
condition. Like most cars this age, however, it was for sale because it had a
lot of problems that the owners couldn't fix  I managed to find and fix a
number of them right away, but some of them persisted for over a year before I
finally found and fixed the cause.

This may seem depressing, but there was still a rewarding component to it,
because I was able to drive the car the whole time, and every time I fixed
something it got a little peppier, a little more driveable, and a little more
fuel efficient. In the end it was a great car, but that required a struggle and
persistence.

That persistence is what Steven touched on yesterday, and he was absolutely
right that it will be required any time you buy an old car like this. It's
gonna have problems and they aren't gonna fix themselves.

It sounds like Toby is well on his way to bringing this one back from its
abused past.   ;-)

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org