[T3] Help

I need some general "what would you do" advice and
maybe a new outlook. I spoke to the shop that did the
engine transfer and they said that they didn't hook up
the cold start hoses because the engine from the 72
wasn't compatible with the body from the 71. Their
sugestion was that the generator wasn't making a
circuit (I left the wires detached from the gas guage
and the spedometer after the dash fire) and that I
needed to reconnect them to complete the circuit and
figure out if the generator or the regulator were bad
and therefor draining the battery (the generator is
actually bad). I mentioned the fact that there seems
to be little to no acceleration on a low grade and
that before the engine is warm it won't reve. The
answer for that is that the throttle connector is
going back and a lot of the wiring needs to be
replaced. On top of that the brake lines aren't
holding pressure unless you pump them I think it might
have to do with the bleeder valves in the rear being
snapped. I knew going into this that the car was going
to need work and thought that since it ran it would be
something that I could do while still being able to
drive it, perhaps a bit optomistic on my part. It's
very hard to have the mechanic tell you that if you
are able to then you should get another car. If it
were possible I would have gotten one that had been
restored. I'm a college student about to graduate and
don't have the money to hand the car over to the shop
more often then not being that they get a hundred
dollars an hour in labor and always say that it's
going to take several hours just to find the problem.
I'm frustrated to the point of going back to a type
one. Is it worthwile to keep going? Or should I just
hand in the towel now?
Thanks,
Rhiannon