Re: [T3] Noise, pulley etc

> > I started serious work on the problem this morning. I tried the
screwdriver
> > thing, and I am pretty sure the rattle, which is now a loud banging, is
> > coming from the fan. The first thing I did was check the torque of the
> > pulley bolt, once I'd found a way to jam a big screwdriver in the torque
> > converter to hold the engine still. It seemed OK, so I think we can rule
out
> > a loose pulley..
>
> Use a stiff wire, bent into an appropriate shape, to "wipe" the pulley
housing
> under the pulley, where you can't see. Sometimes you get a stone in there,
and
> you can usually get those out with the wire and some care.

I don't think there's anything in there.

> Have you tried shaking the fan housing? Can you tell if it is loose at
all? My
> bet is still on the 2 small screws there that have come loose.

I think you're right. The fan housing doesn't feel loose, so it's still
possible that the fan itself is damaged.

> > Then I removed the rubber air intake. Despite being only about 3 years
old,
> > this was both baked hard at the bottom, and stuck under the muffler, and
it
> > ripped when I tried to take it out, so I'll need a new one. I next undid
the
> > pulley housing bolts, but it won't come out yet. In the archive, Greg
> > mentions removing the pulley and housing together; is this with the
muffler
> > installed?  Other than this, I can't see any way of getting the pulley
> > housing off with the muffler in the car.
>
> Sorry, but I'm afraid the muffler is going to have to come off.

Oh well, no big deal really. I now know all the "magic angles" for getting
the wrenches onto the nuts. At least with it off I'll have easy access to
all the nuts and bolts, and it will be easier to get the intake boot on too.

I don't think it will be any great problem getting it apart. As for getting
back together again, will I need to get all new gaskets and stuff for the
muffler? I think I've got everything else (except a new intake boot).

One more thing; when I checked the pulley bolt torque, I managed to hold the
engine still using a big screwdriver in the torque converter. Is there
anywhere I should be careful about doing this; i.e. anything that can get
broken or bent? I put the screwdriver under the body of the torque
converter -  though the hole on the bottom left of the casing, rather than
in the teeth.

Daniel