Re: [T3] Noise, pulley etc

On 4 Feb 2005 at 9:20, Daniel Baum wrote:

> I had another look at my engine, and I now think it is possible that the
> pulley itself has come loose,
> The fan shroud is not loose apparently.

You should be able to just reach in and shake the pulley to see if it is loose.
Have you tried the screwdriver in the ear trick to try to pinpoint the source
of the noise?

> A couple of questions before I start - the books mention a paper gasket
> between the pulley and the fan; is it likely my gasket set contains one? If
> not where can I get one? Also they mention a rubber gasket on the back of
> the air instake housing. Assuming this is either missing or shot on my car,
> what should I do about it?

Every gasket set that I've ever seen has that paper gasket. It is just a thin
round thing with 2 notches on the outside. The rubber seal is usually there and
okay. If not, I have some.

With the right wrench and extensions you don't need to take anything other than
the air intake bellows off to tighten that bolt.

There is a hemispherical black plastic cap that is supposed to be over the
center of the pulley. It just prys off to get to the bolt in the center. I have
those, too, if yours is missing, although they are not particularly important.

BTW, IIRC that bolt gets tightened to 92 ft-lbs. That's a lot more than the
corresponding beetle torque because the type 3 pulley is overhung so far.
Just another reason not to overtighten your generator belt.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org