To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 6:24 PM
Subject: Re: [T3] New Fastback photos

That does worry me. Particularly in America, someone who is
intelligent who becomes a plumber or a mechanic is somehow not living
up to society's expectations, while vocational programs are aimed at
teenage malcontents or the intellectually challenged. The service
industry is careening towards being entirely populated by the
intellectual have-nots, while management and engineering is for the
intellectual haves. Oh, and I'm not just talking about inborn
abilities, but learning opportunity as well here.

No one seems to do their own work anymore. When I was a kid (and it
wasn't all that long ago) people still did their own oil changes. Now,
people look at ME funny when I tell them that NO ONE DOES MY OIL
CHANGES BUT ME. Not sure what that says about us as a society. The
auto industry and the auto repair industry has rather successfully
cowed people into believing that "cars are too hard to work on anymore
what with all the computers they have onboard." Meanwhile, your
average mechanic is little more than a parts-swapping grease monkey,
and I just don't have the confidence that their skills have evolved
commensurate with the evolution of technology.

Anyway, that's my rant for today. That's why I love forums like these-
lots of like-minded individuals who know their stuff and love getting
their elbows dirty.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:36:31 -0000, Dave Hall <dave@hallvw.clara.co.uk> wrote:

> Back when I was in high school, I worked
> at an auto parts store that largely sold to mechanics, professional
> and shade-tree. I could count on one hand the number of mechanics that
> could be trusted with working on a car..

That was something I noticed in years of teaching - virtually none of the
brighter kids wanted to be mechanics. There was an occasional one who was
particularly gifted at practical skills, at the expense of his other subjects.
Seems all the parents want their kids to become managers, academics or media
moguls. While we need some of them (I suppose), we need skilled mechanics,
plumbers, electricians etc too. Why do we not celebrate manual skills any more,
no matter what area it is shown in? I guess that's why we are happy with
slab-sided monstrosities rather than craft-rich buildings like the ones we saw
in Albany, NY. Bring back the craftsman (and woman - mmm all that
home-baking!).

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/