Re: [T3] oil sensor part #

On 28 Aug 2005 at 9:27, Steven Fleming wrote:

> its a 71 and it isnt carburated  its fuel injected its also an automatic.
> its a really weired problem i really think it has something to do the idle
> but it doesnt only go on when its idling it also goes on as soon as i
> start slowing the car down.  and if i put it in neutral the oil light
> stays on but if i rev the engine while in neutral it turns off.  it isn't
> on esentialy only when im accelerating or the car is in steady drive it
> turns on during braking at relatively low speeds like 25mph and under when
> the car is idling.

What you are describing is not a brake related problem, but rather the
perfectly normal response of a rather old, worn engine. The oil pump is driven
by the engine, so it pumps less oil when it is turning slowly. There are 3
things which determine your oil pressure: pump output, oil viscosity, and
bearing oil clearances.

At idle, the oil pump output is at its minimum.

When the engine is warm, the oil is hot and thin.

If the bearings are worn, the oil can pass thru them more easily.

When all of these things happen together, the oil pressure will fall below the
trip point of the sensor, indicating that the oil pressure is low.

If it only happens with a hot engine at idle, then I wouldn't be too concerned
about it. If it also happens when the oil is cold, then you should start saving
and planning for an engine rebuild.