[T3] The DDB and The Great Canadian VW Show story.

<x-flowed>Hey Volks,
Back from Canada and their show. Had a really good time and those Canadians are down right nice volks! Beautiful region and the weather was toasty!

We left Oregon after 7:30am with Adam's Fasty (Z-CHEF), Bob's rat rod Fasty, and the DDB shop car, The Bucket with Martin and I. Brook didn't have a VW and borrowed his mother's new Nissan. Ken and Susan had to use Susan's turbo Thunderbird because 3 CV bolts snapped on Ken's Fasty and he felt it best to leave the car on jack stands at home. At the border in customs Martin and I got pulled over and were asked 20 questions and then some. They finally let us through. I was driving The Bucket at this point so as we left I dropped the rear of the car at the crowd of security officials staring at us.

We hit our camping spot and relaxed. The air suspension with the third revision of the upper front mounts was working well on The Bucket. Saturday morning we headed out to Air Speed for their pancake breakfast and to get a sneak peek at some of the cars that would be going to the show. We met up with Annie and her two roommates from the host hotel, Clairessa (which I'm sure I just butchered her name) and Daniel. Daniel had a very cute Bug that had an original 33,000 miles on it when she bought it (she does her own work...she used to work at a Porsche restoration shop...and she's only 20!). After that we headed out to Stanley Park and cooled out feet in the ocean. We finished the night at a big BBQ at an enthusiasts very nice house/yard.

Sunday morning we cleaned up the cars and hit The Great Canadian VW Show. Guess what...the Type 3 category was grouped with the Karmann Ghias! Almost every one of the 14 Type 3 owners let them know we were not happy with their decision. Anyway, it was a good turn out for both air- and water-cooled. There was a PRISTINE '73 Squareback driver (tan car in photos) and a nice '73 stock carbed Squareback (the red car in the photos) with a different type of air intake preheat system. Many beautiful cars that photos cannot do justice to, believe me. After the show Annie and her girls left (Daniel got first place for her car, yeay!) and we went back to camp for a great dinner cooked up by our chef, Adam.

Monday was our last day in Canada. We blew a front air bag at the show (looked to be a manufacturing issue along with over-pressurization) so after some phone calls we were able to hit a VW shop and install a replacement air bag. As we left the shop to hit a lunch place we lost our clutch. After lunch we told the group to go home without us and Martin and I, along with Bob in his Fasty, hobbled back to the shop and lowered the engine. Yup, the NEW clutch arm lost its right arm (weld failed) so we had it welded back on and Martin re-installed it. We were lucky that it failed when it did otherwise we would've been too far away from any place to fix it and that would've made for a long trip home.

At the border in customs Martin and I got pulled aside again! They asked us a few of the same questions, quickly searched the car, then let us on our way. Bastards. We only traveled a short distance when Bob radioed that he was having engine issues. It was a simple fix: New engine cooling boot, tighten down his left carb linkage base, and confirmed his back-firing was due to improperly mounted, lower exhaust clamps. Martin undid the forward bolts on Bob's rear trunk lid so air could get scooped in (Bob was running without an engine lid). Back on the road and Bob's Fasty was doing much better.

We didn't get home until 2am and it was a very chilly ride in The Bucket without heat but we did have coats and hats (and eventually we wore our ski goggles!) for just this situation -- I even wore my cold-weather motorcycle gloves. But we made it and so did the air ride suspension. Here are my pictures and videos of the event: http://www.icbm.org/erkson/gallery/TGCVWS-2005 We had a good time and will be doing it again. Enjoy!

--
 Toby Erkson  --  http://www.icbm.org/
 '72 VW Squareback Darksider, 5-speed, 2007cc, rag top