Re: [T3] synthetic oil and oil changing for dummies

98K mi on my engine and nothing but conventional, and alot of miles left  in
it.  And I do a fair share of trailer towing.  I still wouldnt risk
Synthetic, 15 years ago it destroyed my engine so quickly and
dramatically... but I wasnt full flow.

> if I switch to a synthetic, can I just do it all at once and then
> change my filter a few times?  if so, how often do I need to change
> the filter when I make the switch, after 10 miles, or 100 or what and
> how many times?  I'd like to have the benefits of synthetic and I
> don't mind the cost since only the best goes into Stanley.
>
> If I stay with conventional oil, and I live here in socal where it is
> pretty much always between 60 and 85 degrees, should I use 10W-40? I
> guess the word on the street is that straight weights are for people
> who aren't up on the latest oil technology.  true?

I use 10W30 on a newer engine and 10W40 when it gets older.  I did use the
Pennzoil "older engine" oil the last time and it gave me a couple extra
pounds of oil pressure which I was very happy with.  The multi vis oils have
viscosity enhancers that you wont get the benefit of if you use a straight
weight.

> also, next dumb question; does the oil strainer plater *really* need
> to be removed with every oil change if the engine is full-flow and and
> has a modern style filter?  what is the danger or just draining with
> the center plug and then filling?  I thought the filter would take
> care of anything that would be floating around so that "cleaning" the
> strainer and plate and everything wouldn't be very useful, not to
> mention the fact that it about doubles the time it takes to change my
> oil.

I clean my strainer on the non-full flow car every other oil change, it
stays pretty clean.

Keith