From: Dave Hall [mailto:dave@hallvw.clara.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 5:30 AM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Carb synchronization tool

I'm not sure what the air adjustment screw you mention is Keith - you
mustn't
adjust the air-flow with the mixture screw or the mixture goes wrong.

Once you've got the engine running, you do the mixture screws (the ones
with a
black wheel) first to get the correct mixture.  If you've no CO meter,
adjust
for max rpm then a tad richer.  Then do the other mixture screw.  Check
both are
still OK.

Then do the airflows - remove right rod.  Adjust throttle stop screw to
get the
same flow on each carb, and then adjust the rod length so it doesn't
change the
throttle position when re-connecting (I usually find it's exactly the
same as
before cleaning).   It's a fiddle as you have to end up at a proper idle
speed.

You do need to have the choke rod adjusted to give the right opening of
the flap
when the stop has a particular gap, but unless it's all been taken apart
or come
loose, it shouldn't need adjusting.

Oh, and make sure the balance pipe connections are all good - very
confusing if
there are leaks there.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club