Re: [T3] I must part with my car :-(

On 8 Aug 2005 at 16:57, Jennifer Sawyer wrote:

> I have some sad news to share. I am not going to be able to keep my
> Squareback after all.

Jennifer,

We all hate to hear these stories, not just because your resources are limited,
but because you and your car would have been so much better off in the hands of
a better shop. The difficult part these days is finding a shop which can still
service these cars. There are few mechanics around from those days, so your
best bet is often to do the work yourself, or find someone on this list to do
the work or who can recommend a good shop.

I have no idea of what the problem with your car might have been at the start,
but I would be willing to bet that it was NOT a cracked head (seldom happens to
these cars) and there probably wasn't a cracked case, either. It probably WAS
something that could be fixed for under $100, if only the shop knew what they
were doing. That knowledge is extremely rare these days.

In today's market, however, your story is just too sadly familiar: Non-
mechanical owner takes car in for work and gets taken for a ride instead. Yes,
I'm sure you're right that whatever problem there is now with the FI is their
fault.

I would not let them install carbs. They are likely to botch that, too, and it
will just get you in the further in the hole with them. Frankly, I suspect that
they really don't want to work on your car, so I would try to find somewhere
else to finish it, or sell it to someone who can fix it.

If you're already talking to lawyers, I'd ask about this problem. This shop
does not deserve the money you've already given them.

I'm really sorry this has turned out so bad for you.