[T3]Power and carbs

Well, I tried everything you guys mentioned a month back, since I'm back
in port again and have been out working on the car. Bob, thanks so much
for your input. It's going to help me a lot in the long term. I'm still
not having any luck with my '68 and its lack of power after tinkering
with the carbs. The only way to get up small hills is in first gear 'cuz
second just runs out of oomph. Frustrating.

In Japan they've got a Type III get together coming up on the 24th of
this month that I'd love to have the car up and running for, even though
I'll have the RAT version of our cars until I get it to the body shop
I've been talking to. Ah well, someone's gotta be the ugly Geijin!

I went by the Weber instructions for the 34 ICT pair of carbs I have. In
fact, I went a little further and pulled a couple of the jets in them to
see what size the PO had in there. I did have to clean off the tip of
the left side idle jet. It was covered with a white-caked film over the
nozzle. The only way to get the engine running halfway smoothly is to
crank out the idle mixture screws almost 5 turns which, going by the
book, says I need bigger jets. The current idle jet is 52. Sound right?

There are no vacuum lines on either of the carbs or distributor, and the
distributor had an orange cap, says Bosch on the body, and has several
numbers followed by 009, so I'm assuming this is the 009 you guys keep
referring to. It is a simple body with no attachments for vacuum or
anything else on it.

I also tinkered with my distributor and plugs a bit. Since I'm new to
the VW engine I'm not sure how the cylinders are numbered but, looking
from the rear of the car forward at the engine, when I pulled each of
the wires on the right side the car would quickly start to die until I
replaced them. On the left side, it was like there was no change when I
pulled a wire, not even rough running. Is that normal? Doesn't seem
right to be able to pull a wire, see sparks jumping the gap, but no
influence on how the engine runs. I put my hand over the carb on the
left side and it's pulling air and the wires are getting spark. Strange.
Any ideas?

Tks,
Gary