Re: [T3] Engine number

On 13 Apr 2005 at 18:47, Brad Mularcik wrote:

> Pretty much all of my shrouding is in place.  I am
> actually missing one piece that I am hoping someone in the group can sell
> me.  I need the shroud that covers the belt and generator pulley.  My belt
> and pulley are exposed.  That place DDB said that they can sell me any of it
> that I want, but I would buy it from one of you if I could. (Perhaps one of
> you is them)

I have those parts, and I'm sure that the DDB has them also.

>     When looking at the DDB website at their powder coated shrouding, I saw
> several pictures of engines that had what appeared to be non stock crankcase
> breathers.  Can anyone tell me what my options are in this area.  In my
> rebuild, I am wanting to dress up the engine appearance so that since it is
> going to die young from overheating it will be a good looking corpse.  My
> breather is pretty dirty and oily.  Can I disassemble it to clean it up and
> repaint?  Can I replace it with something non stock?  I am concerned here
> because the fan shroud is supported pretty substatially by the breather
> assembly.

I'd just clean it up. You can remove the box from the stand to clean it if you
like, but that will take a special tool. A 1" pipe nipple extractor (1"
internal pipe wrench) will work nicely here. I would not replace it, or you may
find yourself creating new problems.

>     I am planning to clean all of the shrouding (hopefully borrow the use of
> a sand blaster).  I want to then repaint it.  Any suggestions on the type of
> paint / primer?

Powder paint, Imron, or Polane. Cheap paints will be disappointing.

>     Any way to dress up the appearance of the fuel pump?

Just clean it up. I'd spray anything that you clean really well with oil or LPS-
3, or you'll be disappointed in the rust that appears in a few months.

>     As for the heating concerns regarding my Type 3 engine in my dunebuggy,
> all of the points made are good.  I also discussed this with a guy I know
> who is into Beetles.  The only thing that I do not see at this point is how
> the Type3 engine is any different from a Type 1 engine in THIS application?
> Neither engine has the seperation of cool air vs. warm air that they have in
> the stock application.  MANY dunebuggies are run sucessfully on Type 1
> engines.

The difference is that the type 3 engine picks up its air from low at the rear,
next to the hot air exhaust,  while the type 1 intake is high and faces forward
where it can pick up fresh air.

>     I am considering an extra remote oil cooler.  Any suggestions on where
> to plumb this?  In series with the stock cooler seems dificult to do.  I was
> thinking in series with my remote full flow filter.

Consider doing something creative and making a cool air duct for the cooling
air. That would be both functional and unique, and would likely provide much
more benefit than an extra oil cooler.

> Any suggestions on a make of full flow filter kit?

Most everyone uses the same parts, so just buy a kit from someone who seems to
sell them at a reasonable price. There are few important differences between
the various kits; the main difference will be in how you install it. If you're
careful you will do it without disturbing the fan housing, but if you're in a
hurry you'll cut up the housing, which is a sad mistake. Hint: think street
elbows.