Re: [T3] Vehicle height

On 10 Apr 2005 at 17:08, Mark Seaton wrote:

> So I'm wondering, before I try to replace the swing arms as has already
> been suggested to me here, is it possible that there was a different
> setting for the cars that might have had softer torsion bars that is not
> covered in the haynes? Or more to the point, is there a way to check the
> vehicle height to see if the bars are softened and need a bit more
> pre-loading, or scrapping for some stiffer ones?

The bars don't soften, but they can take an extra twist, which could let the
car down a bit. I wouldn't expect to see this on a fasty, however since there's
not much chance of excess weight back there. The fasty came with the softest
type 3 bars (the "softness" is controlled by changing the OD of the bar.)

The only thing that can really change a bar is if it gets a crack. That will
change the cross section and make it "softer," but I would expect them to fail
fairly soon once the crack has progressed far enough to make a noticable
difference.

When you raised your rear end by one notch, did you arrive at this by measuring
the angle, or just guessing at some amount of change that you thought might be
useful? It may be that it has just been lowered and needs to be put back.

One way of putting things back without a angle gauge is to measure the distance
from the top of the shock to the rear of the spring plate, then slowly jack up
the rear end until it is level. Measure again and calculate the difference.
Then take the rear end apart and just adjust the spring plate until you've
moved the end of the spring plate by that same amount.

Of course that only works if the front is already correct.