Re: [T3] Replacement V Reg fitting

On 7 Apr 2005 at 9:01, Matthew Jones wrote:

> Our fastback just started running really roughly off idle, and thanks to the
> list I immediately diagnosed a failed voltage regulator. This had happened once
> before and I put on an old spare which was obviously near the end of its life

Yeah, I'm afraid that used VRs are pretty much a waste of time.

> So, now I have a brand new Mexican Bosch replacement, P/N 9-190-040-099E. This
> was sold as a direct replacement for 113-903-803E, which was what I had before.
> Two things:
> 1) The construction is very different - it is all potted, and the rather frail
> looking wire wound resistor has gone, so I hope it will be more robust
> 2) It is a different shape, and the connectors are in different places.
>
> (2) Is a real problem - it no longer sits on the top of the heater channel, and
> some of the cables don't reach the new connectors. At the moment it is loose,
> with a flying lead providing ground. This shows how the old one mounted, which I
> presume is standard: http://vw1600e.org.uk/i/elec/relays.jpg (black plastic
> heater tube removed).

I've been interested in these, but I'm disappointed to hear that they didn't
make the connectors on them compatable with the older ones. I haven't actually
ever had one of these in my hands.

I still use the old mechanical Bosch VR, # 30-019. They work fine, but I
realize that they may not be available forever. I still have a few, and I
modify them to give longer lifetime.

> Has anyone else fitted one of these - if so, where ? It looks like the side of
> the body, just above the heater channel, will do. Any issues with mounting here?

I'd be reluctant to mount it there. I think that screws in that panel would
pass out into the space under the fenders and would therefore be "outside." I'd
expect that to start a rust problem.

Could you make an adaptor bracket that mounted in the old mounting holes?

How about a photo of the old and new VR side by side for comparison?

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org