Re: [T3] EGR Valve elimination

On 26 Oct 2004 at 13:07, Constantino Tobio wrote:

> I've got a 73 Fasty Auto, which is equipped with an EGR valve. The
> pipe that runs from the EGR to the intake distributor has broken off
> at the weld between the pipe and the flange. Since this car is old
> enough to not have to go through emissions testing, I figure on
> eliminating the EGR system and blocking off the pipe going into the
> intake distributor.

It's probably the part that is the filter which is broken. That's the part
that's actually between the heat exchanger and the EGR valve. You probably
don't even have all of the filter. I believe it was common for them to break.
Most of the filter parts are stainless steel, so this would require special
care to repair.

> Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Would a hear
> riser blockoff flange work to seal off where the EGR mounts to the
> exhaust?

Yes, this is a reasonable thing to do. You will need to block off BOTH the
exhaust port and the port leading to the intake air distributor. In other
words, block off both sides of the part which you decide to remove.

VW sells a block off plate for the heat exchanger, and the gasket you need for
that is just one of the small beetle exhaust gaskets. The block off plate may
be the same as that for the beetle heat riser pipe; the gasket is the same.

Be careful taking the bolts out where the filter connects to the heat
exchanger. The holes in the heat exchanger are tapped, so you don't want to
break them off. You will have to heat that flange with a torch to free up the
bolts, but there are fuel injection wires and fuel lines there, so you have to
be REALLY, REALLY CAREFUL!

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org