From: Dave Hall [mailto:dave@hallvw.clara.co.uk]
Sent: 13 October 2004 13:17
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Clutch cable

Maybe I meant the Beetle parts rather than system, but it's difficult to
compare without being familiar with both sets of pedal clusters.  I'm very
much in agreement - I can't quite understand why the LHD components are the
shape they are, when the RHD looks fine to me.  ;-)

Didn't the Model T Ford have a funny pedal arrangement?  Yes, I'm sure we
Brits could have managed odd arrangements of pedals no problem.  ;-) OTOH, I
do recall sitting in the National car garage at Newark NJ trying to work out
why I could start the car but not shift it into anything.  I had the parking
brake on, but wasn't holding the foot brake down.  D'oh!   Then when we
drove
off, the lights came on automatically, so it took another minute or so to
work out you can't turn them off anyway!
I guess you guys know that sort of thing from the cradle.   However when it
came
to 'rotaries', no problem for me, as we have loads of them.  Shame everyone
seems to be putting traffic lights on them to ruin the free-flowing traffic
they allow.  I guess too many people just can't cope with judging relative
speeds and
rights of way.   The 4-way stop seems to be particularly curious, in light
of
Brian's question as to who goes first if a Police car, an ambulance, a Post
Office van and you arrive simultaneously at a 4-way stop.   I hope he passed
the
Oregon driving test OK.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club