Re: [T3] Gas tank overflow hoses

On 7 Oct 2004 at 8:49, Jim Adney wrote:

> I recently acquired several gas tank overflow hoses from various sources.

I've posted a photo of the 4 hoses at:

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jradney/web/FI/Overflows.JPG

My earlier post was from memory, and I'm afraid that I mixed up some of the
results. I apologize for my errors here. Please accept these new descriptions
as accurate. Note that the NOS VW part PASSED the test.

All of these hoses were just immersed about 3/4 of the way into the kerosene.
If you look at the photos of the two hoses that failed you can see where the
kerosene, and the swelling, stopped.

Lower Left:

1) New part, marked with the VW logo, 311 201 179B (not a real VW number), but
no molder's logo. Different surface finish than the others I have ever seen.
This part failed; the immersed portion swelled up to about double its normal
diameter. This part came from ISP West; I emailed them about the odd part # but
got no reply. I have no way of knowing who actually made this part, but if
someone sells you a part with this odd part # on it you should just return it
for a refund and let them know why. I emailed them again, but they have been
evasive.

Upper Left:

2) Old used (appears to be genuine VW) part from one of my cars, marked with
the VW logo, 311 201 179A, and the usual triangular molders logo. This part had
clearly shrunk in service and was SMALLER than normal and extremely hard at the
beginning of the test. At the end of the test it was swollen. Failed.

Lower Right:

3) New reproduction part from type 3 Konny in Germany, marked 311 201 179C, no
VW logo, T3K (Type 3 Konny) logo. Passed, no effect on the rubber.

Upper Right:

4) NOS VW 311 201 179A, appears to be genuine, since it has the usual
triangular maker's logo on it, in addition to the VW logo and part #. Passed,
no effect on the rubber.

I currently have 3 more overflow hoses soaking in kerosene and so far none of
them are showing any effects, so they appear to be good.

If any of you have overflow hoses that you have bought and installed in the
past year or so, I suggest that you go out and just reach under the fender and
feel the part. If it feels larger in the middle than at the ends, with the
middle feeling quite soft and spongy, then you have one which is made from the
wrong rubber compound.

If you have one of these bad ones, please let us all know where you got it, and
anything else you know about it. Also tell us whether yours is an early hose
(bayonnet gas cap) or late hose (screw type gas cap.)

thanks,