Re: [T3] Two front end questions

On 5 Oct 2004 at 7:50, Roush, Norman wrote:

> 1) Are the front bump stops replaceable?  Mine are torn but I cannot see
> how to remove/replace them.

Yes, they are just pushed on top of steel mushrooms. However, the steel
mushrooms rust, and sometimes they pull off with the rubber caps when you try
to replace the stops. If you're in a rust zone, be careful.

> 2) When installing front hubs is it necessary to fill the void between
> the inner and outer bearings with grease?

It is a good idea to fill the inner cavity with grease. Don't fill it ALL the
way full, and don't put any in the outer hub cap or in the space inboard of the
inner bearing.

Clean and grease the surface that the seal runs on, and smear a layer of grease
on all the metal parts in the cap, just to prevent rust.

Grease is a mixture of oil and soap. The soap component has no lubricating
properties and is nothing more than a stiffener and a medium to carry the oil.
Oil will slowly separate from the soap in use and flow into the bearing where
it is used to lubricate. Extra grease is just a reservoir for extra oil which
will keep your bearing lubricated longer.

You must NOT completely fill ALL the volume around the bearing with grease.
There needs to be enough air space around the bearing that the bearing can push
the excess grease out of its way when it is moving. This is called "channeling"
and is normal and necessary for good bearing lifetime. If there is not enough
room for channeling to occur, then there will be excessive energy used up in
viscous stirring of the grease and some high speed bearings can even overheat
and die. It is questionable as to whether this would ever happen to automotive
wheel bearings in normal street usage, but why take a chance.

The main thing to keep in mind when you put your hubs back together are
twofold:

1) Clean and polish the steel area where the seal runs. If that area is rough
with rust, it will wear thru the seal almost instantly. Likewise, don't put the
seal on dry. Put grease on the seal lips and on the steel area where the seal
rides.

2) Adjust the wheel bearings so that there is SOME play in all positions. A
minimum amount of play is desirable, but the most important thing is to make
sure that there is never a preload on them.

Of course, you need to make sure that everything goes together clean. A little
bit of dirt or grit of any kind makes the whole job pointless.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org