[T3] Single carb vs. Dual carb

<x-flowed>That was one of the smoothest hijacks Ive seen latley. Nice!

I think the single carb gets a bad wrap due to its hesitation tendencies. Being the owner of several variations, I can see where frustration can set in. Andre has had some of the worse (go figure not Andre ;) ) hesitation problems from a Stock 1500 SP side draft motor Ive seen. But as time progressed VW changed the carb with small refinements and better distributors.

Some early oddities were an adjustable plastic linkage, a cam follower throttle cable to get a longer throw for the gas peddal and the most effective adjustment screw for the accelorator pump. All these were attempts at releaving the single carb of hesitation issues.

My all stock 63 had the weird cam follower deal on it and I didnt like it. I lost feel with it on. Ive since removed it with little to no hesitation issues. My latest 65 RHD notch is single carb as well and it drives like a champ with no hesitation. When I get my 62 running Ill know more about the odd, first single carb/iron dizzy combo.

The dual carbs on the other hand are awsome in comparision. Its like going from a 25 hoarse to a 1600. The duals are crisper, quicker and feel more powerfull. The power range stays longer at higher rpm. I miss duals so much Im going to change my 65 to a dual carb S motor. I cant wait.

My personal take on the two.

jason

My thinking was that this must have meant that there was something wrong with
his single carb that he never figured out, but I've never dealt with these.
What's the consensus of single carb owners out there?

We agreed that the dual carbs were much better.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org