Re: [T3] chopped notch

I would only suggest you undertake this procedure if
you are a very talented metal worker or you know
someone who is. The process is not easy to undertake,
though less so than on a rounded top car like a bug.
Still you will probably need a least two roofs to do
it right since you will have to stretch the roof a few
inches.

As for glass, the hardest part on a type three will be
the front and rear glass. It?s laminated and requires
a special procedure to cut it. (I think they actually
use a method similar to sandblasting to cut it.) Shops
that specialize in custom 50's cars should be able to
point you to someone who can do it. There are some
companies that can make custom curved glass, but be
prepared to pay dearly for it. (Like kidney on eBay
dearly.) For the rear you can sometimes get away with
sinking the glass into the lower body, but that
entails even more body work.

One thing I would suggest to anyone who is considering
chopping the top on your car is to drive a car with a
chopped top first. Last thing you want to do is chop
the top and find out you can no longer drive the car.
Or that the car is uncomfortable to drive. Try driving
around sitting on about 4 inches of phonebooks and see
how you like it.

Also I want to again emphasis this is a major
undertaking. A well chopped car can look really sweat,
but a poorly chopped car is just scrap metal.

=====
Louis Brooks
1969 Fastback
http://www.aivenssar.net/lbrooks