Re: [T3] type III newbie

JackS=> I know nothing about engines.  I am tired of
=> putting money in these carbs so I just want to put
=> something new on.

I understand your frustration, but I'll caution you that others have taken
this path before you, and there are a lot of failed projects as a result.
Trust us: you've got the best chance of getting your engine running right
with the equipment you have. What you need is more informed advice. You've
found the right place for that.

Getting the Solex PDSITs running right is tricky, requiring some patience
and willingness to learn, but it's much simpler than trying to get anything
*else* running right on this engine, especially for a beginner. There's no
shame or blame in being a newbie, by the way. We all had to start someplace.

There are two ways to approach your problem. You can work the learning curve
toward fixing it yourself, or you can turn it over to a professional.
Throwing money and parts at it will not work, I guarantee.

If you study the manuals carefully (start with the Haynes manual, widely
available), ask questions, pay attention, get the right tools and work
slowly and patiently, you will learn to adjust and maintain your carbs
yourself. This is the more rewarding approach, also the harder one, and if
you're at the end of your patience already it might not yet be for you.

The best alternative is to seek out the nearest experienced Porsche or
performance VW mechanic in your area. This person pretty much has to be over
50, expensive, and preferably speaks German. Ask him to set up your carbs
and teach you how to keep them in sync. It's really not a complex procedure,
but it requires some hands-on touch to learn. It will cost, and it will be
worth it.

OK, that's my rant on carbs. But the carbs may not be your problem, so
eliminate other problems first. If it's true backfire (explosion up through
the carb) you have a severe timing problem. If it's postignition (detonation
in the exhaust), you may have a rich mixture, a too-rich accelerator pump,
an intake fuel leak, or just an exhaust leak.

Better tell us what you've done already and describe your problem in as much
detail as you can. Don't leave out what might seem to be side issues. We're
interested and we'll try to help.

=> I have called around and it seems harder to find solex
=> carb parts.

Once you've determined what you really need, you'll be able to find it
through this list.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 KG1600