RE: [T3] Wacky Mileage

On 19 May 2004 at 10:39, Gamboa, Gary wrote:

> Having never run out of gas, I cannot tell where the
> left limit of the gas needle is. When I get around
> the R, the needle begins to act erratic, intermittantly
> bouncing from the key off position back up to R. The only
> way of knowing I was close to empty is how much gas I get in
> at fill up, about 10.7 gals, the last time.

And that's the only real way to ever tell how much gas you have used.

If you write down your odometer reading and fill-up gallons at every fill-up,
you will have all the data you need to calculate your gas mileage for every
tank. This is really the only way to do a realistic gas mileage calculation. It
also allows you to see the normal variation in city and highway mileage figures
and will alert you to problems with the engine or fuel system before you might
have otherwise.

I keep a small notebook in the glove compartment of each of our cars. It has
columns for date, odometer reading, mileage (difference between last 2 odometer
readings), gallons, and mpg. I don't always fill in the calculated columns
right away, but I used to actually keep a slide rule in there, too, just for
this purpose. Nowadays, that just seems a little too dated....  ;-)

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org