Re: [T3] Running on 3

On 17 May 2004 at 19:35, Jason Weigel wrote:

> Hope your heads arnt cracked between the valves. If they are then you will
> pay full for rebuilds. If not then they are good cores to the shop. I see SP
> heads on ebay for less than $100 all the time so dont sweat it.

I strongly recommend that no one should EVER turn in their heads for rebuilt
heads on an exchange basis. If your heads are rebuildable, get them rebuilt
locally (or send them to RIMCO.) If they are not rebuildable, buy good quality
new heads.

Here's why: If you buy rebuilt heads, you'll get a pair of random heads, that
may or may not be matched to each other or to your engine. There are MANY
variables in heads, combustion chamber volume is just one example, and once
your OE heads have gone back as cores they are lost to you forever. It may be
hard for you to find a matched pair that is correct for you.

In addition, with a rebuilt head you are likely to get a head that the previous
owner considered not worth rebuilding. Certainly the odds are that it will be a
good head now, but why take a chance.

There are many places which can rebuild YOUR heads for you locally. Find and
cultivate a relationship with a local machine shop and let them do the work. If
all they want to talk about are all the HP work they do on big US V-8s find
another place. If you can't find a good place locally, check out what RIMCO can
do for you.

I  even have a few genuine VW OE SP heads here that I'd be pleased to sell for
cheap, if someone needs a good rebuildable core.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org