Re: [T3] Leaky oil cooler -- tin fastener tangent

On 13 May 2004 at 22:09, Toby Erkson wrote:

> Personally, I haven't found it necessary to monster-torque the screws down
> nor the hex bolts so I really don't see the worry with using an Allen
> wrench.

I agree that these don't need to be tightened all that much when installing.
It's the UNinstalling where the problem arises.

Personally, I think that most of the problem with the slotted head screws is
solved when you get a big enough screwdriver. I think the one I use is about
16" long, and fits the whole screw slot. Slots where rust has significantly
reduced the amount of purchase are also a problem, but this could happen with
any shape of steel head. There are still a few screws that are hard to get a
screwdriver straight into, especially with the engine in the car. For those, I
really like the hex heads, so I can get a box end wrench on them from the side.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org