Re: [T3] Leaky oil cooler

<x-flowed>> My oil cooler is definitely leaking. When the engine is idling, I can see a small amount coming out, and this increases as I rev the engine, so that there is a little puddle of oil on top of the engine.

This sounds like leaky oil cooler seals to me.

I have an engine gasket set, will the correct oil-cooler seals be in there?

Very possibly.

And how do you do it? Can you remove the engine tin with the engine in the car? I don't think there are instructions for this job in any of the manuals.

Yes, I've done it a few times. It's easier with engine out though. I would say the most important thing is to use a BIG screw driver to turn the engine tin screws, they are easy to strip out or may be frozen in place.

It's a lot harder to reassemble the tin as you have to get the pieces lined up to thread the screws in. I had to have a helper hold things for a few of them.

And, most important, should I stop driving the car till it's fixed?

If it's a minor leak, it should be ok. I drove my '66 home from San Diego to Phoenix with a small seal leak (~500 miles) but I had the parts, tools, and oil with me just in case it got serious. I parked it at home until it was fixed.

- Everett