Re: [T3] Leaky oil cooler

DanielB=> Am I likely to need a new oil cooler, or is it
=> just a matter of changing the seals?

It's most likely the seals, but it could be a cooler failure as well. Seals
are often installed wrong or the wrong seals are used, and this is what
usually leads to this sort of leak. Once you open it up it's usually pretty
easy to see if it's a seal problem.

=> will the correct oil-cooler seals be in there?

Probably, but you have to look closely and know what you're looking at. I
think Jim has the FAQ on cooler seals.

=> Can you remove the engine tin with the engine in the car?

I hear that people have done it, and it's certainly possible. Personally I
think it's a lot less trouble to drop the engine and do it in the open,
where you can get at everything easily, get the many interfering parts out
of the way, and clean everything up well before you put it back together.

=> should I stop driving the car till it's fixed?

Controlled oil loss won't stop the car unless you don't replace it, of
course. The thing to be concerned about is a small leak becoming a major
blowout while you're on the road. In your place I'd probably limit myself to
test drives for the time being.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 KG1600