RE: [T3] T3 - noisy breathing

-----Original Message-----
From: timothy kuehn [mailto:keen_tj@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 1:37 PM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: [T3] T3 - noisy breathing

"I can hear a sound like this if the engine is low on oil ... Adding a bit
brings the level up enough to stop it... wonder if your cap gasket is broken
or gone."

Yeah, I had wondered if the sound was actually coming out of the pickup
tube, like it was sucking air from the oil level being low... but it ain't.
Same noise, whether the oil's overfull, just full, or halfway down the
dipstick marks.
Err, cap gasket?  Mine must be gone - is this just a flattened rubber o-ring
that fits up inside the cap?

Also - since we've been on the topic of breathers recently... I have the
kind with 2 caps on top, and one vent coming out the bottom, right hand
side.  The vent's currently not hooked up to anything.  My dipstick tube is
the one-pipe kind, just comes straight out the sump and angles upward... I
have another dipstick tube, though, with a second pipe sticking up out of it
-  seems like it could connect (with a short bit of hose, 'course) straight
up to my breather stand vent.  Should I swap dipstick tubes?  If I did, and
my breather stand was venting down into the back side of the sump, what
would I be accomplishing?

Hope everyone's having a swell Wednesday.

--timmy
'72 square
redondo, ca