Re: [T3] Reverse problem - No archive

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 11:45, Jim Adney wrote:

> The reverse gear itself is made of brass, and it gets shaved off a bit every
> time it grinds. eventually there's not enough left of the gear to hold and it
> pops out of gear.
No, the reverse gear is not brass, but the early shift forks were. The
gear is harded steel. In the early trans, the shift fork would wear. On
the later trans's, the gear would wear. Not sure where the exact split
is, but they changed the shift fork and the gear, but they still got
abused.

> FYI, the reverse gear slides sideways on a splined shaft when you shift it. So
> the shaving happens on the side of the gear. I think that replacing this gear
> is relatively simple, as far as MT internal repairs go, but getting the gearbox
> apart is still a big deal. You should probably be looking for a good used
> gearbox instead. I have one that you can HAVE if you're interested, but you'd
> have to come get it.

No, this is not relatively simple. 1st and 2nd slider which the reverse
idler engages with also gets the same amount of wear. This is one of the
first pieces to go into the trans after the pinion bearing on the main
shaft. This means a complete tear down on the trans, and a complete
readjustment of all the shift forks and you need a special jig to do
this.

> Have you had grinding problems getting into R? How is your clutch adjustment?
>
> Interested in another trip to the midwest? It might also be possible for me to
> bring it to Hershey.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to pull an IRS transmission without removing
> the engine? I assume that if the front transmission mount can be replaced
> without dropping the engine, then one could also remove the whole tranny the
> same way.

You can tow one without an engine, if you properly support  the
bellhousing end of the trans.

> Maybe Russ will have better news for you....

Sorry it is bad news.

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 FB AT