Re: [T3] Reverse problem - No archive

On 11 May 2004 at 10:49, Mike Wodkowski wrote:

> 72 square Popping out of reverse: trans mount is good.
> What's the fix?

I haven't run into this, so I don't have any personal experience with it. My
guess is that if it only happens in reverse and not also in 2nd or 4th then the
problem is probably inside the tranny. If you've had a few occasions of
grinding while trying to shift into reverse, then this is probably the result.

You should make sure that the shift lever assembly, etc is securely bolted to
the tunnel and isn't moving around on you. If it has moved, you might want to
push it forward a bit before bolting it down solidly.

The reverse gear itself is made of brass, and it gets shaved off a bit every
time it grinds. eventually there's not enough left of the gear to hold and it
pops out of gear.

FYI, the reverse gear slides sideways on a splined shaft when you shift it. So
the shaving happens on the side of the gear. I think that replacing this gear
is relatively simple, as far as MT internal repairs go, but getting the gearbox
apart is still a big deal. You should probably be looking for a good used
gearbox instead. I have one that you can HAVE if you're interested, but you'd
have to come get it.

Have you had grinding problems getting into R? How is your clutch adjustment?

Interested in another trip to the midwest? It might also be possible for me to
bring it to Hershey.

Does anyone know if it is possible to pull an IRS transmission without removing
the engine? I assume that if the front transmission mount can be replaced
without dropping the engine, then one could also remove the whole tranny the
same way.

Maybe Russ will have better news for you....

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org